deannahello

Scott Lynch, Michael Page
The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
My Sweet Audrina - V.C. Andrews

I've really struggled with my rating and what I want to say about this book. My inner middle school aged self is shamelessly entertained by this absolute trash. And it is absolutely trash. The characters are so over the top unbelievable. All the adults in this book should be in jail for child abuse. The dad probably more so than the rest. He's a real piece of work. I even had a hard time with the supposed likable character. So much woman on woman hate in this book. I know it was the late 70's early 80's, but come on. These books are and always have been targeted to teenage girls and women which makes me want to give this 1/2 a star or less. It did keep me turning the pages and I know I would have been entertained and really liked this if I had read it as an early teen. Back then it would have been scandalous, and it probably still is. As an adult I'm wondering if V.C. Andrews really hated both sexes so much or is this some kind of sick joke. I ended up watching the lifetime movie after I finished this. It was meh. I'm glad that the movie cut out most of the child abuse. I'm not sure who I'd recommend this too. Probably co workers my own age so we can laugh about books we actually liked as kids and are know really embarrassed by. That's why the 3 star rating, but I'm disappointed in your taste 12 year old Deanna!