deannahello

Scott Lynch, Michael Page
The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Fire and Hemlock - Diana Wynne Jones, Garth Nix

I'm hovering right around 3 to 4 stars on this one. Howl's moving castle remains to this day one of my favorite books. So to say I had really high hopes for this would be an understatement. Let me say I've never read Tam Lynn. Apparently this book is modeled after that story. Maybe having no frame of reference explains my confusion with the first 150 pages of the book. My thoughts ran to, what so they are fae ? Some of them are fae? What? This is kind of a small nit picky thing, but I'm pretty sure Polly drinks the orangeade she is given at the funeral. One thing Deanna knows from her reading about the fae you are not to eat or drink the food. Maybe I miss read this though. I guess my biggest problem on the whole was trying to suspend my discomfort at Polly and Tom's relationship. And yea it made me really uncomfortable.  The last half rallied and I ended up staying up into the wee hours of the morning to finish. My thoughts on this are being in my 30's I arrived at this party to late. I'm sure I would have enjoyed this much more at a younger age. I do give Diana Wynn Jones mad props for having really good lead female characters. It's a breath of fresh air to read a YA with with a stronger female character.