deannahello

Red Seas Under Red Skies
Scott Lynch, Michael Page
The Mists of Avalon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ott, Jonathan Lethem

I actually finished this the first day started it. This was my brothers pick for our January book, and a very strange book it is indeed. Fair warning there are going to be spoilers.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler] I guessed fairly early on that Marricat had been the one that poisoned the family. I mean who else could have done it. So that wasn't a big mystery to me.  Here is a list of things that don't make sense or were unexplained at least to me.  Why did Marricat want to poison her family in the first place? Before here family died didn't she go to school? Or even afterwards? Why did the town people hate the family cause they were snobs?  Seems a little extreme. Why wouldn't the girls just move away? And lastly a few nick picky things.  Were are they using the toilet at? These are two women what are they using for sanitary napkins or tampons?

I'd still give this 3 and maybe a half stars though. Although sometimes repetitive the writing was good. I do feel like if this was longer and more fleshed out it could have been a solid 4 or 5 for me. Maybe it's me though I seem to have this problem often with short stories and novels.